**NEW** User Authentication and Password Boxes

Help, tips, discussion, and everything else about the Cipher online riddle.
Forum rules
NO SPOILERS; please read this before posting: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1150
Gamemastertips
Site Admin
Current Level: 2

**NEW** User Authentication and Password Boxes

Post by Gamemastertips »

If you haven't heard the news...username/password authentication has been added to every level folder.

Why?
To prevent Google from archiving the level URLs, and for overall increased security. Before authentication was added, every URL up to level 49 could be found via a very clever Google search, without anyone even publishing them on another site.

How do I use these things?
On levels that involve user authentication, just locate the link in the image or in the source that points to the next folder. Trying to access that folder will prompt a username and password check. If there is no link to the next folder, the answer is to be entered in the URL bar. If the authentication box just popped up without you doing anything, it's just verifying you for the folder you're already in. This may happen to many of you who attempt to resume progress on a level that just received an authentication check.

What's the username?
As now made clear in the early levels, the username is almost always "cipher", unless indicated otherwise by the level.

What's the password?
The password to the folder you're trying to access is the answer to the last level in the previous folder. For instance, if level 39 was in /folder2/, the password for accessing /folder2/ would be the answer to level 37, the last level in the previous folder.

This is confusing! I don't remember what answer was for what level!
I would highly recommend retracing you steps from the level 1 and re-recording the passwords for every folder. It won't take as long as you think.

Sorry for any inconvenience! I promise it will make the riddle better in the end.

PROBLEM: What hyperlink? What password box? I'm not seeing anything, even when you tell me I'm on a level that uses authentications!
This is a common problem. If you're on a level that involves authentication and the link/password box isn't showing up for you, try refreshing the page and/or clearing your internet cache. (An easy alternative is a cache-refresh, performed by hitting Ctrl-F5. Thanks, Kawkowa!) If you visited the level before password boxes were added, it's very likely that the old level got stuck in your cache. This is especially the case with Google Chrome, which is a browser I really dislike for this reason. Use Firefox. Did I mention I don't like Google Chrome? I don't.

P.S. Through the changes, many level URLs have been changed, even though answers have stayed the same. Some level hints have been shifted, removed, and altered, but all the puzzles stay exactly the same, with no new ones added in.
~ The Cipher Master ~

UPDATE, 9/9/2018: If you PM me for level help, I'm more than happy to answer, but I may not be checking my forum inbox more than once a week (or less), so please be patient with waiting for a response. Thank you!

TANK
Current Level: 50

Re: **NEW** User Authentication and Password Boxes

Post by TANK »

almost the end and here the authentication comes...
not sure about the username of lv 50
what does 'oink' mean?
is that a new puzzle?
need your help GMT...
so embarrassed to be defeated by this :oops:

porker2008

Post by porker2008 »

I am defeated too. :D
~ all hail lelouch ~

Singularity

Post by Singularity »

:twisted:

well
GMT is making the riddles more interesting

Schwarz
Current Level: 33

Post by Schwarz »

Is it necessary? I have to retrace all the levels? I feel I'm fooled.
Plus, can you explain something more about what the username and password exactly are? e.g. What does 'the site says...' mean? Or what the form of the 'answer' is? 'level3' or 'level3.htm' or 'http://....../level3.htm'???

Plus Zeng
Current Level: 60

Post by Plus Zeng »

TANK wrote:almost the end and here the authentication comes...
not sure about the username of lv 50
what does 'oink' mean?
is that a new puzzle?
need your help GMT...
so embarrassed to be defeated by this :oops:
If you have retraced every level before, you will find that 'oink' is one of the level you've passed. PASS it again, and you'll never input the password in level 50.

Plus Zeng

Post by Plus Zeng »

Schwarz wrote:Is it necessary? I have to retrace all the levels? I feel I'm fooled.
Plus, can you explain something more about what the username and password exactly are? e.g. What does 'the site says...' mean? Or what the form of the 'answer' is? 'level3' or 'level3.htm' or 'http://....../level3.htm'???
The first one.

anhsang11

Post by anhsang11 »

I want access to lv38, I have to enter answer of lv 34 is [spoiler] and AC is "cipher"?

illuminatus
Current Level: 34
Location: not from your Location: not from your Location: not from your Location:

Post by illuminatus »

fo sho? i wonder what describes level 4...
brain freeze...
will strike for the 13th...
If anything is possible, is it possible for something to be impossible?

rnightshroud
Current Level: 1

Post by rnightshroud »

anhsang11 wrote:I want access to lv38, I have to enter answer of lv 34 is [spoiler] and AC is "cipher"?
Do not post answers of any level in asterisks. :evil:
Contact me via Discord in case of offline status: rnightshroud#9033
Le owner of RNS Riddle, residing somewhere on the web.